Monday 15 November 2010

The Testing and Methodology of an Illustrator

A large part of an illustrator's (or any creative) job is to promote themselves. Promotion ensures that their work is seen by a wide audience, and in that wide audience are potential employers as well as fellow artists who can offer valuable feedback.

A very useful tool for self-promoting is the Internet, which is what I shall focus on. With the popularity of sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Flickr, many illustrators participate in social networking as a form of promotion. The 'quick update' aspects of the former two sites are a convenient way for the illustrator to let his or her 'followers' know that, for example, a blog is updated, or that they are featured in a magazine/art exhibition. An alternative is the good old social forum, which if successful and active, can be a brilliant way to get feedback and to see the work of other artists.


Flickr has a 'community' option in which members can join and add their images to a 'group pool'. Although a nice way of sharing work with others, and a way in which I have found new artists who I follow the updates of, I have found that there isn't much constructive feedback given here as there would be in a forum.



Another way is to be promoted in an illustration blog - one example above. Pikaland features illustrators from around the world who have caught their eyes, and also offer services such as projects and their own Ning and Flickr groups. Being featured is a great way to see what others think of your work, and which pieces have worked successfully.


Also, your methodology will come into play. Part of a successful illustrator's methodology is researching popular artists/illustrators of the day. My own methodology is as follows:



I will carry out artist research relating to the brief I have been given.


I will also research into the concepts behind my (eventual) final piece.


I will also experiment with different forms of media.


If it is relevant, I will go into character development and art style based on the research and other studies I have made.


... and with this information, I shall go on to developing my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment